Sunday, March 20, 2011

Siem Reap Cambodia My Last Day

I have been in this city for 10 nights and still would like to stay longer. The folks here are the sweetest. They are very very poor and still have lots of problems with land mines in the field even near the city. You have to be careful where you walk if you are out in the country side.
My Tuk Tuk driver Mr Hong took me way out of town the other day to a fishing village and it took 1 1/2 hours to get there. They pay close to $5 a gallon for fuel and to give you an idea of how much it would cost to have a driver and sort of guide for the day. I paid him $20 and he was very happy to get a job and the price was one he choose. I did give him a tip for taking me there. 
The people there do not see many tourist and they build there homes around 25 feet off of the ground and most of the year go by boat only. They live on a canal of one of the largest lakes in the country.They seemed very glad to see me and I got to taste dried smoked fish. They dry it in the sun on racks and then smoke it under a tarp.
What a great country.
I leave tomorrow and off to Hanoi Vietnam. A city I hear they have over 2 million motor bikes. Should be exciting getting across the street.
Cheers 
Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment